Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Finally back to running...

After a 2 month hiatus to let my left shin heal following the Austin Marathon back on February 18, I resumed my running on Monday of this week. In the interim, I have been swimming (10,000m last week), cycling (75 miles last week) and doing some weight training. My timing to start running again coincided with the Boston Marathon on Monday, and the fact that the YMCA where I have been doing my cross-training is closed for 2 weeks for remodeling. Thankfully they arranged for us to use other YMCA facilities, so I'm able to drive a few extra miles to use another facility.

So how did I do on my run? Monday morning I laced up my Nike Pegasus TC's (the lighter training and racing version of the regular Pegasus) about 7:30 a.m. and headed out the door on a little 3 mile route around my neighborhood as follows: First mile in 7:45, second mile in 7:51 and third mile in 7:55 for a total time of 23:36 (7:52 pace per mile). I admit being very nervous about this run, and it took me the first mile or so before I finally relaxed and realized my left shin was not going to have a relapse. After taking yesterday off, this morning I ran the same route again in 23:33, and reversed my first and last mile, so today the last mile was the fastest. If I were in regular training shape I'd be doing this same route in about 22:00-22:30, so only being about 20-30 seconds per mile slower in my opinion is great. Other than some soreness in my upper legs (to be expected after a 60 day layoff), I feel fine.

3 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Ain't it great!!

Al Durham said...

Welcome back to the pavement. I hope that your running continues to go well.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Glad to hear you are running again....Randy