Monday, April 23, 2007

Better than expected first week back running

With my return to running after a 2 month layoff, I really did not know how I would do last week. I ended up with 20 miles (runs of 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 and 4 miles) with an average pace per mile of around 7:45 or so. In "normal" training, I would be around 40-50 miles per week at about a 7:30 pace, with peak weeks in the 50-60 mile range leading up to a marathon, but I am happy nonetheless that at least the first week back yielded a decent pace and more importantly, no pain from my previous injury.

I swam 3 times during the week (1875m, 2500m and 2500m) for a total of 6875m (about 4.27 miles). I've been swimming now for about 6 weeks and can tell a huge difference in my technique and endurance. I still am alternating laps between breaststroke and freestyle, and am not pushing off the wall so I can simulate as closely as possible an open water swim. I figure after a couple of more weeks I will start to incorporate some different routines to further build my strength and endurance (thanks again Momo and Shelley for the tips).

1 comment:

Jess said...

Congrats on your strong first week back from your time off from running. It sounds like you'll have no problem working back to your peak training level!